Monday, September 14, 2009

Londoners Like To Play With Fire...

Saturday Sept 12:
Slept in and went to an Internet café to do my papers for Monday. Had lunch then went to find the Hunterian Museum by the Royal College of Surgeons. It was a huge collection of specimens from Dr. John Hunt—so about 200 years old. Some stuff was a little gross: lots of fetuses, dissected animals, dissected body parts, eyeballs, etc. Pretty much every part of the body.

On the way to the museum this is what I came across. Didn't you watch this show on PBS, mom?!



I listened to a retired surgeon talk about how the body heals itself. He also had a lot of information about scarring and how surgeons work to reduce scarring etc. etc. It was very interesting! I wandered around some more and even watched some videos of surgery: an artery bypass, removal of a brain tumor, and something else. I literally couldn’t take my eyes off the screen—it was fascinating, but I don’t think I’d be able to do it. I’ll stick to studying dusty books, thank you!

Then meandered down toward St. Paul’s and home for dinner.

Went with a big group to the Thames River Festival. There were a ton of people walking around, lots of little stalls, lots of food, and some nice live music. And for as much as these people complain about the Great Fire, there was A LOT of fire there! I mean big displays, lots of little fire displays, and a lantern with fire someone floated up and away.
One of the MANY fire displays at the festival.


And all these fire hazards taking place by the Tate Modern and Shakespeare’s Globe with it’s thatched roof which long ago caught fire and burnt down. Uh…not very smart, people!!! But everything was really pretty. At one of the stalls I got this really pretty necklace with a Peruvian moon stone in it and something from a gum tree holding it in. The guy who made them all was really into all the “meaning” behind his stones. I just thought it was cool :) but sure!

London Bridge all decked out for the festival


We got some gelato too! Yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment